20 Reported Killed as Chinese Unrest Escalates (UPDATED) – Howard French

 Chinese Images Ap Police China 195Eng 9Dec From the New York Times:

Residents of a fishing village near Hong Kong said that as many as 20 people had been killed by paramilitary police in an unusually violent clash that marked an escalation in the widespread social protests that have roiled the Chinese countryside. Villagers said that as many as 50 other residents remain unaccounted for since the shooting. It is the largest known use of force by security forces against ordinary citizens since the killings around Tiananmen Square in 1989. That death toll remains unknown, but is estimated to be in the hundreds.

The violence began after dark in the town of Dongzhou on Tuesday evening. Terrified residents said their hamlet has remained occupied by thousands of security forces, who have blocked off all access roads and are reportedly arresting residents who attempt to leave the area in the wake of the heavily armed assault.

UPDATE: See also, Incited villagers attack power plant in Guangdong from Xinhua; The map of Dongzhou is here.

This topic on the Web, via Google News.

Technorati Tags: ,

December 10, 2005 8:02 PM
Posted By:
Categories: Human Rights, Law, Society