City water vulnerable to ‘cancerous’ river – Xinhua News Agency
From Xinhua News Agency via Shanghai Daily (link):
Experts warned yesterday that the Yangtze River has become so “cancerous” with pollution that it is threatening the safety of drinking water in Shanghai and other cities along its banks.
The effluents in some sections of China’s longest river are getting worse, and the Yangtze will become as filthy as the Yellow and Haihe rivers in five to 10 years if action isn’t taken soon, said Lu Jianjian, a professor at East China Normal University.
- ” Is Yangtze on its death bed?” by Herald Sun (link)
- ” Pollution risks Yangtze’s ‘death'” by BBC NEWS (link)
- “Experts warn China’s polluted Yangtze risks becoming ‘dead river'” by Mainichi MSN (link)
- “Yangtze river could be dead in five years” by Edie News Centre (link)
- “The List: The World’s Water Crises” from Foreign Policy magazine (link).