Centre for Chinese Studies Weekly Briefing
The Centre for Chinese Studies (CCS) at Stellenbosch University in South Africa is an excellent resource for current information on China and Africa relations. The Centre is a joint undertaking between the Governments of South Africa and the People’s Republic of China and is also home to a Confucius Institute that is promoting Chinese language and culture.
Among its main publications are the China Monitor and Weekly Briefing. The last issue of the China Monitor (PDF) commemorates the 10th anniversary of diplomatic relations between the Governments of South Africa and China and reviews, in a series of articles, the current state of political and economic relationships.
This week’s Briefing (PDF) tracks the following news items:
* Chinese South Africans in line for BEE deals
* Zambia to build modern stadium in the north
* Ghana: alleged maltreatment, Bui workers want govt intervention
* Chinese firm to invest Sh4.8b in spare parts plant
* China steps up pressure on Sudan over Darfur
* ECOWAS positions for US$ 10bn Chinese aid
The CCS also recently publish a report entitled “How China delivers development assistance to Africa“. This research project, supported by the Department for International Development UK (DFID), takes a critical look at China’s aid policies in Africa.