China Official: 5 Killed During Urumqi Protests (Updated with Video)
Deputy Mayor Zhang Hong reported the casualties at a news conference in the city, capital of the western region of Xinjiang. He said they died Thursday.
Thousands of Han Chinese flooded the streets in angry protests for a second day Friday to demand increased security in the city after a string of bizarre attacks of needle stabbings that appear to be ethnically motivated.
Police used tear gas and public appeals to break up crowds marching on government offices and called on authorities to punish those responsible for ethnic rioting in early July that left 197 people dead.
– “Police chief visits Urumqi to defuse unrest” from China Daily
– “Urumqi imposes rules to ban unlicensed demonstrations” from Xinhua
– “China blames ethnic separatists for needle attacks” from AP
– A slideshow from the BBC
– Previous reporting on the unrest via CDT.
– “Xinjiang ethnic groups united in hostility” from the Financial Times.
– “China Says Five Dead in Latest Xinjiang Unrest” from the New York Times.
Here is BBC’s video:
And from France 24: