Suicide Bomber Kills Two in ‘Housing Dispute’

Yet another dispute over reclaimed property has ended violently in Kunming as a woman set off a bomb, killing herself and two others and injuring fourteen, in anger over losing her home. From the BBC:

At least 14 people were injured in the blast at a local government office in Yunnan province. The woman also died.

The woman had been negotiating compensation for the loss of her home, eyewitnesses said.

This incident is a reminder of the tensions in China over the country’s rapid development, correspondents say.

“We have opened an investigation. I can’t tell you anything, but three people were killed and 14 were injured,” a local official told the AFP news agency.

China Daily has more details:

The 10 less injured people have been sent to a local hospital in Qiaojia county, according to the county committee of the Communist Party of China.
The incident occurred at around 9 am in Qiaojia county, Zhaotong city, the committee said.

While the cause of the explosion is under investigation, it has been reported that it was a bombing.

According to the Weibo account of a Kunming metropolis newspaper, a witness said a female went to the demolition bureau with explosives after she was asked to sign an agreement on house relocation, setting them off at the site.

Read more about land disputes and forced demolitions in China via CDT.

May 10, 2012 3:20 PM
Posted By: