As of September 1, the following search terms are blocked on Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
- P People News (P民报): A satirical netizen Weibo publication. In the past few days, it has been completely wiped from Weibo. CDT has featured the “front page” of P People News, rendered as Rabble News, here and here.
- Rabble News (屁民报): Alternate spelling of P People News.
- Scholarism (学民思潮): Hong Kong student organization which opposes the patriotic curriculum to be introduced to Hong Kong schools this month. More on the group from their website [zh].
- Zhang Lixia (章丽霞): The married woman allegedly found naked and dead in a parked car in Jiangsu Province. She and Gu Jiyang apparently died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the middle of sex.
- Gu Jiyang (顾纪祥): A lieutenant colonel in the PLA, allegedly found with Zhang Lixia.
- Bureau of Dicking Around (捅鸡局): Netizen nickname for the National Bureau of Statistics.
- dual designation (双规): Shuanggui, a form of extra-legel detention for Party officials involving torture. Bo Xilai is likely being detained in a shuanggui facility.
- Zhao Tianshao (赵天韶): Many speculate that Zhao Tianshao was Gu Kailai’s body double during Gu’s trial last month. There has been no verification of this rumor.
Re-tested terms relating to Hong Kong opposition to compulsory patriotic education:
- brainwashing (洗脑)
- Leung Chun-ying (梁振英): Chief Executive of Hong Kong. Many Hong Kong citizens see his sympathies lying with Beijing and not the city.
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that
« Back to Article