Sensitive Words: “Pen-Grabbing Secretary”
As of November 21, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function):
“Pen-Grabbing Secretary” Rides the Bus: Earlier this week, Hubei Province Party Secretary Li Hongzhong was spotted riding the bus in Wuhan and “observing the people’s condition” in the “spirit of the 18th Party Congress.” Skeptical netizens think he’s trying to make up for his behavior in March 2010, when as governor of the province he snatched a pen voice recorder out of a journalist’s hand.
- Li Hongzhong (李鸿忠): re-tested
- Govenor Li (李省长): re-tested
- Hongzhong + pen recorder (鸿忠+录音笔)
- grab the pen recorder (抢录音笔)
- pen-grabbing secretary 抢笔书记
- pen-grabbing governor 抢笔省长
- pen recorder incident 录音笔事件
- eighteen big: Literal translation of the Chinese abbreviation for the 18th Party Congress (十八大)
- Qiangba Puncog (向巴平措): Chairman of the Tibet Autonomous Region.
Note: All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.