Southern Weekly Conflict Resolved; Concerns Linger

After a weeklong stand-off with local propaganda officials, which included street protests, a staff strike, and weibo battles, Southern Weekly published its weekly edition Thursday as scheduled. But the publication did not come without its hiccups. Following a negotiation with propaganda officials and Provincial Party chief Hu Chunhua, staff agreed to publish the paper. Because newspaper staff were requested not to talk to foreign media, few details about the agreement are known so far. From the Los Angeles Times:
The exact terms of the deal were not released, but it appears that the journalists agreed to refrain from airing their grievances in public about Tuo Zhen, the propaganda chief for Guangdong province accused of the heavy-handed censorship that sparked the standoff. The staff had planned to publish details of more than 1,034 stories they said were censored or deleted in 2012, according to a journalist who asked not to be quoted by name.
Southern Weekly staff members were instructed not to speak to reporters for foreign media about the protest.
When the paper was finally issued Thursday morning, it was reportedly distributed at newsstands in Beijing and Shanghai before its hometown of Guangzhou. Some issues of the paper were missing sections. From South China Morning Post:
The newspaper, which is published on Thursdays, was not available in at least six newsstands in Guangzhou, which normally carry the paper. The paper appeared as normal in Beijing, carrying a cover story on the aftermath of a fire in an orphanage in central Henan province.
Thursday’s edition led with a two-page investigation into a fire at an orphanage in central China’s Henan province, in photo via Sina Weibo.
“It’s not coming today,” said one newspaper seller in a kiosk near the Southern Weekly’s headquarters in Guangzhou.
[...] In Shanghai, two sections of the

...
« Back to Article

One Response to Southern Weekly Conflict Resolved; Concerns Linger