43 Reported Dead in Flooding

The death toll of this week’s flooding and landslide in Dujiangyan City, Sichuan continues to climb, with 43 now reported dead and dozens more still missing. From CNN:

Some 118 people across Dujiangyan City — mostly tourists — were unaccounted for as of 9:30 p.m. Saturday, Chen Yangjie, vice mayor of the city said at a news conference, according to the state-run Xinhua news agency.

The flooding that caused the landslide in the village of Sanxi, in Dujiangyan City, has destroyed 5,100 houses and damaged another 90,000, officials said. Rescuers continued digging through the debris in search of survivors and victims.

“So far no sign of life has been detected at the scene,” Ma Kun, head of the firefighting division in Chengdu, capital of Sichuan Province, said, according to Xinhua. [Source]

Many tourists in Sichuan and neighboring Gansu have been trapped by roads destroyed from the flooding.

July 13, 2013 5:01 PM
Posted By:
Categories: Society