Sensitive Words: Xu Zhiyong, GlaxoSmithKline &More
As of July 19, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
Police Detain Xu Zhiyong and His Lawyer: Xu, a civil rights activist and himself a lawyer, was taken to Beijing’s No. 3 Detention Center on July 16. Xu’s lawyer, Liu Weiguo, was detained two days later. Xu has been under house arrest since April.
- Xu+Zhi+yong (许＋志＋永)
- Dr. [of Philosophy] Xu (许博士)
- Liu Weiguo (刘卫国)
- Chen Jiangang (陈建刚): One among several rights defense activists arrested while supporting Xu.
- Kang Suping (康素萍): Another of Xu’s detained supporters.
- No. 3 Detention Center (第三看守所): Location in Beijing where Xu is currently being held.
- Suncun Police Station (孙村派出所): Under the jurisdiction of No. 3 Detention Center. Most of those who have assisted Xu have been taken to this police station, including Liu.
- financial disclosure (财产公示): Some suspect Xu was detained because of his campaign for government officials to disclose their financial assets.
- Domestic Security Department (国保): Retested. The DSD is a branch of the Ministry of Public Security which deals with dissidents, activists, and other “subversive” individuals.
GlaxoSmithKline Accused of Bribery: The Chinese government has accused the British pharmaceutical company of “serious economic crimes,” including bribery of government officials, hospitals, doctors, and other key people and institutions. Vice President for Finance in China Steve Nechelput has been barred from leaving China, although he has not been detained or restricted from working or traveling within the mainland.
- GlaxoSmithKline 葛兰素史克
Other: Li Xiaolin (李小琳): Ms. Li, the CEO of China Power International Development, has drawn netizens’ ire for her declarations about hard work and service to country.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words in this bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information. To add words, check out the form at the bottom of CDT Chinese’s latest sensitive words post.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: