Sensitive Words: Steamed Buns, Rumor, Dictatorship
As of January 14, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words on our bilingual Google spreadsheet.
Xi Jinping’s Lunchtime “Show”: Keywords related to the president’s patronage of a steamed bun shop in late December continue to be blocked.
- wishy-washy (不伦不类): The Canadian Chinese website 3ren.ca published a reflection on Xi Jinping’s “show of closeness to the people” (亲民秀) and the difficulties he faces both domestically and abroad. “China’s diplomacy is conducted with the clarity of mud–it’s wishy-washy” (中国外交搞得一团浆糊，不伦不类), writes “sunyiwen.”
- Xi+put on a show (习＋作秀)
- Xi+speculate (习＋炒作)
- Xi+put on an act (习＋演戏)
- Xi+big move (习＋大动作)
- Xi+new administration (习＋新政)
Other Xi-Related Keywords:
- Xi+predecessor (习＋前任)
- Xi+secretary (习＋秘书)
- Xi+Zhou [Yongkang] (习＋周): Former security chief Zhou Yongkang is reportedly under investigation for corruption. See Sensitive Words posts from January 9, December 25, and October 10.
- Li Dongsheng+Xi (李东生＋习): Zhou ally Li Dongsheng was fired from his post in the Ministry of Public Security on Christmas.
- Xi is responsible [for…] (习负责)
- Xi Ming[ze] (习明（泽）): The only child of Xi Jinping and Peng Liyuan, Xi Mingze studies at Harvard under a pseudonym.
Other Blocked Keywords:
- political rumor (政治谣言)
- politics behind the scenes (政治内幕)
- knife+Xinjiang (刀＋新疆)
- army+police (军队＋警察)
- Mao+autocracy (毛＋专制)
- Ma+dictatorship (毛＋独裁)
Via CDT Chinese.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: