Sensitive Words: Has Another Tiger Been Trapped?
As of February 12, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
Banking Tiger Trapped? Rumors are flying online that Shang Fulin, chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, is under “dual designation” (shuanggui), a type of detention reserved for government officials. While whispering about Shang started as early as 2011, Xi Jinping’s anti-corruption campaign, and the reported investigation of former security czar Zhou Yongkang, has netizens speculating on which “tiger,” or high-level official, Xi will catch next.
- Shang Fulin+be captured (尚福林＋落网)
- Shang Fulin+be eliminated (as in a contest) (尚福林＋落马)
- Shang Fulin+13.7 billion (尚福林＋137亿): The figure represents the amount Shang has gained through ilicit means.
- Shang Fulin+gain wealth by unfair means (尚福林＋敛财)
- Shang Fulin+graft (尚福林＋贪污)
- Shang Fulin+extremely corrupt (尚福林＋巨贪)
- Shang Fulin+resign (尚福林＋辞职)
- Shang Fulin+be caught (尚福林＋被抓)
- toad+dead (蛤蟆＋死): Jiang is known as the “Toad.”
- toad+critically ill (蛤蟆＋病危)
Via CDT Chinese.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words on our bilingual Google spreadsheet.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: