March 5, 2014 9:42 PM
aging architecture art theft Beijing Beijing architecture blogs books Buddhism censorship construction cultural censorship cultural heritage cultural preservation cultural relics demographics demolition economic development economic growth education ethnic tensions forbidden city forced demolitions Fujian Great Wall Harbin history hutongs Internet culture islam kashgar Laohumiao literature museums Ningxia Olympics construction online activism qing dynasty redevelopment Shaanxi Shanghai Tibetan language tourism traditional culture urbanization urban planning Uyghurs writers Xinjiang Yunnan Zhejiang
May 27, 2009 9:41 PM
The ancient city of Kashgar, in Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region, was a key trading point along the Silk Road and a cultural center for Central
At ChinaFile, the author of the upcoming book, Internet Literature in China, Michel Hockx, emphasizes the need for “archiving ‘born-digital’
December 22, 2013 5:27 PM
At Sinosphere, Didi Kirsten Tatlow describes efforts to preserve Beijing’s Ming-dynasty Picking Flowers Temple: Today, underwear hangs
December 11, 2013 6:07 PM
- Auction Houses in China: Christie’s vs. PLA
- Humble Chinese Village Basks in Legacy of Thr...
- Michael Meyer: See You Again, Old Beijing
- False Historical Consciousness
- Uncertain Future for Architectural Treasures
- Extinction Threatens 40% of China’s Min...
- Old Building Restoration Taking a Hold in Chi...
- Ancient Morality Text Updated for Young
- Razing History
- A Trip Down Beijing’s Half-fake Memory ...
- Drum Tower Plan Shelved
- Carrying the Spear (and Dagger) for a Fading ...
- Rival Museums Retrace Route of China’s Imperi...
- Historical Beijing Quarter ‘To Be Destr...
- Kashgar’s Old City: Landscape of Loss
- Village Dreamers
- China Razes the Cradle of a Culture
- An Ancient Culture, Bulldozed Away