September 1, 2014 11:18 AM
17th Party Congress 1989 protests Barack Obama Beijing bloggers Bo Xilai CCP corruption Cultural Revolution democracy dissidents economic growth elections eric x. li freedom of expression grassroots democracy Guangdong history Hong Kong Hong Kong democracy hong kong elections Hu Jintao human rights conditions independent candidacies India comparison June 4th land grabs leadership transition local elections mass incidents microblogs netizens' voices online activism online public opinion political reform protests public intellectuals Ran Yunfei sina weibo social unrest Taishi Taiwan relations Tiananmen Square U.S. relations United States village elections Wen Jiabao Wukan Xi Jinping Yasheng Huang
July 28, 2014 5:54 PM
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been leaked and distributed online. The name of the
On WNYC’s Brian Lehrer Show, The New York Times’ Michael Forsythe discusses the protests and counter-protests in Hong Kong this
August 25, 2014 1:50 PM
On Sunday, police in Macau shut down polling stations and detained five people involved in staging an unofficial democracy referendum inspired
August 25, 2014 12:36 PM
- Human Rights and Cross-Strait Relations
- CDT Bookshelf: Howard French on China in Afri...
- Voting in China, a Distant Dream
- Macau Activists Plan Referendum on Democracy
- Wukan Youth: Zhang Jianxing
- Minitrue: Delete Article on Foreign Infiltrat...
- Beijing’s Pressure Tactics in Hong Kong
- Chinese Democracy, Western Traps, and the End...
- Embracing Human Rights, Disarming the U.S.
- Tiananmen 25: Remembering June 4th From Hong ...
- 25 Years Ago: Goddess of Democracy Erected
- Tibetans Divided Over Right to Vote in India
- 25 Years Ago: 6,000 Shanghai Students March
- 25 Years Ago: 150,000 March in Beijing
- Xi: China Has Tried the Rest, Socialism is Be...
- ‘This Isn’t the Democracy We Want...
- China in House of Cards, and Hou...
- Wukan Loses Faith in Democracy Experiment