August 8, 2014 12:00 AM
aging Beijing black market Bo Xilai censorship Chongqing cities college entrance exam corruption debt defense policy demographics Deng Xiaoping development development plan Directives from the Ministry of Truth Drawing the News economic growth education forced abortions foreign policy gender imbalance Gong Aiai government spending Harriet Xu health insurance Henan household registration hukou Hunan Internet censorship Internet control Jiang Ping land rights media censorship migrant workers Ministry of Truth National Development and Reform Commission official corruption one-child policy propaganda re-education through labor reform sina weibo state-owned enterprises Third Plenum 2013 urban development urbanization urban rural divide weibo
March 26, 2014 2:20 PM
As the school year begins in China, the children of migrant workers face a harsh reality: without an urban household registration (hukou), they
Since coming to power, China’s new leadership has been touting the benefits that increased urbanization would have for economic growth,
December 17, 2013 3:49 PM
Amid a broad push for urbanization in China, Andrew Stokols explains how urban population figures are pulled in different directions by land classifications
November 22, 2013 5:29 PM
- One-Child Policy, Labor Camps Addressed in ...
- Symptoms of the Hukou System and a Map to Ref...
- China’s Third Plenum: Get Ready for Dis...
- Cracking the Hukou Code to Hasten Urbanizatio...
- China to “Speed Up” Hukou System ...
- Phrase of the Week: Temporary Residence
- Drawing the News: I’d Do It All Again
- Frustrated “Lower-class” Parent C...
- Ministry of Truth: Wang Dexue’s Tears
- Ministry of Truth: House Sisters and More
- Netizen Voices: Abolish Labor Re-education
- How Many Fetuses Killed in 40 Years?