December 31, 2013 4:27 PM
Beijing children crime economic slowdown education exports financial crisis 2008-2009 Foxconn health care hukou labor conditions labor rights labor shortage left-behind children manufacturing migrant education migrant labor migrants photos poverty Shanghai social unrest Spring Festival suicide unemployment unpaid wages urbanization urban rural divide wages wealth gap
January 17, 2014 3:19 AM
William Wan at The Washington Post tells the story of China’s “left-behind children” who grow up in rural villages apart from
In the New York Times, Ian Johnson has written a lengthy report about a model town built outside Tianjin to house migrants who were forced to move
November 11, 2013 11:14 AM
According to a newly released government report [zh], China’s “floating population” has grown to account for one sixth
September 12, 2013 11:24 AM
- Guilin School Blast Linked to Migrant Worker
- Cracking the Hukou Code to Hasten Urbanizatio...
- Working Hard and Playing Hard in Fun City
- Who’s Watching Left-behind Children?
- Losing Battle Against Lung Disease and Worker...
- Revisiting Leslie Chang’s “Factory Girls”
- China’s Lopsided Labor Force
- Migrant Workers’ Pay Growth Slows
- Al Jazeera: China Rising
- China’s Gender Gap Reaches from Rural A...
- Police Quell Beijing Protest after Woman̵...
- Landslide Draws Attention to Toll of Mining o...
- Dissent Magazine: China’s 99%
- Tibet Landslide Rescue Work Suspended
- 83 Buried in Tibet Mine Landslide (Updated)
- “Black Clinics” Flourish Amid Hea...
- For Many, One Child Policy is Already Irrelev...
- Hukou Reform in Spotlight at NPC