Believe in the God Ai and be completely resurrected on the spot
From China Digital Space
This phrase is a reference to Ai Weiwei. Ai Weiwei is a Beijing artist and activist. The term “the God Ai” refers to an incident in Chengdu. Ai Weiwei and others were at a hotel when the police burst in. They accused Ai Weiwei of “pretending to be God” which in the Sichuan dialect means to “put on an act” or “act stupid.” Twitterers, amused by the incident, began calling Ai Weiwei “the God Ai.”
The phrase “believe in XX and be completely resurrected on the spot” was first used in reference to Brother Chun, a singer famous for her androgynous appearance. The original quote that went viral on the Internet was, “Believe in Brother Chun and receive eternal life. Believe in Brother Chun and be resurrected on the spot with complete BUFF” (信春哥，得永生。信春哥，满BUFF原地复活). This viral phrase has also been invoked by Kunming residents while protesting the demolition of their homes.
When netizens use the phrase “believe in the God Ai and be completely resurrected on the spot,” they are using exaggerated language to jokingly embrace Ai Weiwei and his work.
- 1 Feng Zhenghu’s Airport Diary: The Warmth of Friends (18)
- 2 Feng Zhenghu’s Airport Diary: Delivery from Ai Weiwei (14)
- 3 Photo: Yours Truly – @LARGE: Ai Weiwei on Alcatraz, by Samuel Wade
- 4 Photo: Blossom – @LARGE: Ai Weiwei on Alcatraz, by Samuel Wade
- 5 Photo: Illumination – @LARGE: Ai Weiwei on Alcatraz, by Samuel Wade
12 March 2015, by josh rudolph
18 February 2015, by Anne Henochowicz
12 October 2014, by Samuel Wade
11 October 2014, by Samuel Wade
10 October 2014, by Samuel Wade