A Shanghai Petitioner’s Horrific Death – RFA


From Free Asia’s mandarin service, translated by CDT:

The of this man before his would’ve been censored by major news outlets: his belly grossly ballooned up, blood running out of his eyes, ears, mouth and nose, hemorrhages in the brain and kidneys. According to a doctor, this man’s internal organs would turn bad with all the blood clotting in his body, if he were not treated

His name is Duan Huimin (ÊƵÊɆÊ∞ë), and that’s exactly what happened to this petitioner. Police, after beating him up, refused to get him a doctor for nearly two months.

Duan was beaten on Nov. 3 last year while making a trip to Beijing with his sister Duan Chunfang (段春芳). As police beat his sister, Duan went to help but was greeted by himself. He was detained for assault with a pair of nail scissors.

While under arrest, Duan was only allowed to sleep sitting up. Growing weaker by the day, Duan was not granted any medical care by police until Dec. 28, when he went unconscious and the police sent him to see a doctor, who said he must be released. The doctor informed police it would take up to $60,000 to treat him, or he would have only three days of life. Rather than pay the bill, six policemen instead dropped Duan at his sister’s house on the last day of 2006.

Duan’s , in order to force the police to pay the bill, went to ’s party branch for a sit-in. The police on duty there, seeing the man coughing up blood, panicked and immediately reported to their superiors regarding his medical bill. He was sent to a hospital on New Year’s day.

True to the doctor’s diagnosis, Duan died on Jan. 2. Calls placed to Shanghai police resulted only in a stock response that reporters “call back on Thursday after the holiday for concerned departments.” [Full Text in Chinese]

– Listen to the audio report (in Mandarin) here.

Open popup

Welcome back!

CDT is a non-profit media site, and we need your support. Your contribution will help us provide more translations, breaking news, and other content you love.