Among those injured, 51 people needed treatment and were being treated in hospital. All were in stable condition, doctors said.
The fire broke out at about 11 p.m. at a club, named “King of the Dancers,” in Longgang District in Shenzhen City, when hundreds of people were watching a performance.
According to police’s initial investigation, the fire was triggered by fireworks ignited during the performance on the third floor of the club.
There was only a narrow aisle, about 10 meters long, in the hall. Many people got hurt in stampede, said Yang Zhi, a club staff member who survived the fire.
Read also a report from Reuters.