Leaked Propaganda Directives and Banned “Future”
In order to circumscribe the influence of Taiwanese democracy, in order to progress further in the work of guiding public opinion, and in accordance with the requirements established by higher authorities to “be strategic, be skilled,” we hope that internet commentators conscientiously study the mindset of netizens, grasp international developments, and better perform the work of being an internet commentator. For this purpose, this notice is promulgated as set forth below:
(1) To the extent possible make America the target of criticism. Play down the existence of Taiwan.
(2) Do not directly confront [the idea of] democracy; rather, frame the argument in terms of “what kind of system can truly implement democracy.”
(3) To the extent possible, choose various examples in Western countries of violence and unreasonable circumstances to explain how democracy is not well-suited to capitalism.
(4) Use America’s and other countries’ interference in international affairs to explain how Western democracy is actually an invasion of other countries and [how the West] is forcibly pushing [on other countries] Western values.
(6) Increase the exposure that positive developments inside China receive; further accommodate the work of maintaining [social] stability.
In the meantime, a very long list of keywords is currently banned on Sina Weibo’s search function. Among those banned keywords are: “艾未未” (Ai Weiwei)，“艾未” (Ai Wei)，“未未” (Wei Wei)，”艾” (Ai)，”未” (Wei)，“未来” (Future [similar to Weiwei])，“艾胖子” (Fatty Ai)，“胖子” (Fatty) and “月半子” (Moon Half Son). [The latter are common nicknames for Ai Weiwei.]