As of October 10, the following search terms are blocked on Sina Weibo (not including the “search for user” function).
- long live+Republic of China (中华民国＋万岁): October 10th is the 102nd anniversary of the Wuchang Uprising, which lead to the end of dynastic rule and the founding of the Republic of China. The Republican government fled to Taiwan in 1949 after their defeat in the Chinese Civil War. The “Double Tenth” is now Taiwan’s National Day.
The former minister of public security and Politburo Standing Committee member continued to publicly support Bo Xilai after Bo’s removal from office and the Chinese Communist Party. Now, corruption probes into China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC) chairman Jiang Jiemin and others of Zhou’s associates in the oil industry seem to be targeted at undermining Zhou’s power base. Zhou was general manager of CNPC in the mid 1990s. “Zhou Yongkang I think is clearly in trouble,” Harvard professor Tony Saich told Reuters in September.
- Zhou Yongkang (周永康): retested
- security czar (安全沙皇)
- Zhou Yongkang (周永kang)
- z Yongkang (z永康)
- Zhou Kangkang (周康康)
- Kang Shifu+CNPC (康师傅＋中石油): Kang Shifu (“Master Kang”), a brand of instant noodles, sounds like a nickname for Zhou.
- Kang Shifu+son (康师傅＋儿子): There are reports that Zhou Yongkang’s son Zhou Bin is under house arrest in Beijing.
- Zhou Bo (周薄): Zhou Yongkang and Bo Xilai.
- comrade+Xi (习＋同志): Today’s People’s Daily ran an editorial [zh] titled “‘Uncouth’ Titles Prevail in the Party, ‘Comrade’ Left in the Cold.” It bemoans the encroachment of “feudal” titles like “boss” (老板) and “big brother” (大哥) and the waning of “comrade” (同志). Netizens note that “uncouth” (江湖气) becomes the more common phrase “vagrant habits” (江湖习气) with the addition of the character 习 xí–Xi Jinping’s surname [zh].
Via CDT Chinese.
All Chinese-language words are tested using simplified characters. The same terms in traditional characters occasionally return different results.
Browse all of CDT’s collected sensitive words on our bilingual Google spreadsheet.
CDT Chinese runs a project that crowd-sources filtered keywords on Sina Weibo search. CDT independently tests the keywords before posting them, but some searches later become accessible again. We welcome readers to contribute to this project so that we can include the most up-to-date information.
Have a sensitive word tip? Submit it to CDT through this form: