In a three-part documentary series focused on Taiwanese espionage, CCTV program Focus Talk broadcast the likely forced confessions of four Taiwanese citizens: Lee Meng-chu, Cheng Yu-chin, Tsai Chin-shu, and Shih Cheng-ping. All...Read More
Joseph Brouwer is the pen name for an editor at CDT. He is based in America.
Posted by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 14, 2020
Xi Jinping’s speech on the 40th anniversary of the creation of the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone—the first of China’s market reform policy SEZs—outlined his vision for an increasingly domestically-oriented economy, better able...Read More
Posted by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 13, 2020
Michael Spavor and Michael Kovrig, two Canadians detained in China for 674 days, met virtually with the Canadian ambassador to China in mid-October; the first consular visit allowed them by Chinese authorities since January of...Read More
Posted by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 9, 2020
An Apple Daily report alleges that a Hong Kong government plane surveilled the “Hong Kong 12” during the activists’ attempted escape to Taiwan. They were captured at sea by Chinese authorities and are now being detained in...Read More
Posted by Joseph Brouwer | Oct 8, 2020
The Vatican has decided to extend a secret 2018 agreement with Beijing that governs the appointment of bishops in China. The 2018 Sino-Vatican deal, signed in the midst of crackdowns on religious expression, is believed to give...Read More
CDT in the News
- Mind Matters – #WhereIsPengShuai: China’s Star Tennis Player Went Missing
- The New York Times – China’s Silence on Peng Shuai Shows the Limits of Beijing’s Propaganda
- The Hindu – What happened to Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai?
- Vice – How China Managed to Wipe Out All Mentions of Its Most Explosive #MeToo Case
- WSJ – China’s Response to Peng Shuai Allegations Follows Familiar Pattern