Author: Sophia Cao
From Reuters: Tibet protests bring out East-West divisions as tensions surface in Beijing. Political and cultural divisions persist in Beijing behind the scene of a so far relatively smooth summer games. A handful of pro-Tibet protesters have been swiftly detained, while many residents are annoyed at the foreign display in their city.
Dried bamboo shoots (笋干) are a popular specialty food product manufactured by hand in Yong’an (永安), Fujian in a back-breaking process few Chinese consumers of the snack appreciate. One photographer recently went to a bamboo mountain in Fujian last spring to document how the snack is made, via fengniao.com:
Most Recent Entries
- 2008.03.02 Shanghai Opera Dream: Save China’s Oldest Opera
- 2008.02.29 Video: Bamboo Flute Music: Chang’e Flies to the Moon
- 2008.02.20 ‘Chaos’ of China’s Music Industry
- 2008.02.20 Al-Jazeera on the Yilishen Ant Farming Scandal
- 2008.02.18 Slideshow: Those Who Remain in Rural Zhejiang
- 2008.02.18 Slideshow: All About Train Tickets
- 2008.02.17 China’s Inflation Probably Surged to 11-Year High in January
- 2008.02.17 Viewers Criticise Lip-synching Ziyi in CCTV Gala
- 2008.02.17 Valentine’s Day With Chinese Characteristics.
- 2008.02.17 Video: 798 – Transformation from Factory into Art Hub
- 2008.02.16 Video News: China Gold Demand Pushes Output to Record Levels
- 2008.02.16 Ex-China Basketball Star Says Olympics Are Platform for Change
- 2008.02.12 CDT Bookshelf: “Billions of Entrepreneurs: How China and India Are Reshaping Their Futures and Yours” by Tarun Khanna
- 2008.02.10 Slideshow: New Year and New Unpaid Migrant Workers
- 2008.02.10 After 50 Years, Pinyin Still Rules
- 2008.02.10 Slideshow: Huge Dumpling Banquet
- 2008.02.07 Sexy Beijing: Beijing or Hong Kong?
- 2008.02.07 Dance: Fei Tian (飞天)
- 2008.02.05 China Braces for Winter Fallout
- 2008.02.05 Dumplings Poisoned ‘on Purpose’