This year, not surprisingly, CDT’s most popular posts centered around the emergence and spread of the novel coronavirus, and related stories such as the death of whistleblower doctor Li Wenliang and censorship of relevant...
by John Chan | Sep 22, 2020
Outspoken former property tycoon and longtime Party insider Ren Zhiqiang was sentenced to 18 years in prison on Tuesday. Ren had disappeared in March and was reported to be under investigation, shortly after he wrote and shared...
by Josh Rudolph | Aug 19, 2020
In 2020, CDT Chinese editors launched the CDT Censorship Digest series. The series will collect and quote from news and online speech that was censored by Chinese authorities during the previous month, as well as summarize...
by Samuel Wade | Apr 9, 2020
Outspoken property tycoon Ren Zhiqiang went missing nearly four weeks ago, soon after the online circulation of an essay attributed to him which sharply attacked the official handling of the COVID-19 epidemic and especially the...
by Josh Rudolph | Mar 13, 2020
Real estate tycoon turned commentator Ren Zhiqiang, known as “the Cannon” for his online outspokenness, was one of the few liberal “Big V” microbloggers remaining on Weibo after a 2013 rumor crackdown...
CDT in the News
- Hindustan Times – Chinese Communist party wing mocks India’s Covid crisis on social media
- POLITICO – Feminists thwarting China’s population goals
- Forum 2000 – Xiao Qiang: Digital authoritarianism in China undermines democratic values
- NYT – Women Are Battling China’s Angry Trolls. The Trolls Are Winning
- The Jamestown Foundation – Hong Kong Cracks Down on National Security Imperatives Amid Electoral Reforms