Longyan Dayue （龙颜大悦） is an online volunteer production group that puts together weekly mash-up videos to distribute online. In operation since June 2010, the group of over 300 volunteers has put together 39 videos. Their latest...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 14, 2011
In the same speech during which he rejected analogies between unrest in the Arab world and the situation in China, Premier Wen Jiabao discussed the prospects for political reform in China: Wen, who has often been a lonely voice...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 13, 2011
At a press conference to close the annual NPC meetings, Premier Wen Jiabao rejected any comparisons between the situation in China and those in Tunisia and Egypt that led to popular revolutions there. From AP: Social stability...
In the Guardian, Jonathan Watts writes about the links between new policies on the environment and on domestic security announced at the NPC meetings, and the public reaction to both: The praise was for the new five-year...
Zheng Yuanjie (郑渊洁; born 1955) is known as the Chinese King of Fairy Tales. He wrote the following on his blog during the ongoing NPC meetings in Beijing (Translated by CDT): Zheng Yuanjie is psychologically unstable I am sixty-...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 5, 2011
Delegates at the National People’s Congress meetings. See more images from the NPC session by Jordan Pouille
by cdtstaff | Mar 4, 2011
This Saturday, China’s legislative body, the National People’s Congress, will convene to discuss and formalize China’s new Five Year Plan. But who are China’s Congress members? It may or may not be...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions