Portions of a reunion episode of the American sitcom Friends were censored for Chinese audiences this past week. Friends was once wildly popular: grassroots subtitling groups translated episodes into Chinese and many fans...
South Korea relations
by John Chan | Nov 16, 2020
Fifteen countries in the Asia-Pacific region on Monday signed the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), one of the largest free trade agreements in history. Inspired by the 10 member states of the Association of...
by Cindy | Jul 5, 2014
President Xi Jinping arrived in South Korea on Thursday for a state visit that is seen as...
by Melissa M. Chan | Oct 19, 2011
China’s Foreign Ministry has announced that vice premier Li Keqiang will be visiting North and South Korea next week. This comes after North Korea’s announcement that it is ready to resume the six-party talks that it...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 25, 2010
South Korea has released the three Chinese fisherman involved in the recent fishing boat conflict in South Korean waters, according to BBC News: The three Chinese fishermen had been freed and were now preparing to return home,...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 21, 2010
Chinese authorities have demanded that South Korea apologize for a clash at sea between Chinese fishing boats, which were reportedly illegally fihing in South Korean waters, and a South Korean Coast Guard vessel. From Bloomberg:...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions