Portions of a reunion episode of the American sitcom Friends were censored for Chinese audiences this past week. Friends was once wildly popular: grassroots subtitling groups translated episodes into Chinese and many fans...
South Korea relations
by John Chan | Nov 16, 2020
Fifteen countries in the Asia-Pacific region on Monday signed the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP), one of the largest free trade agreements in history. Inspired by the 10 member states of the Association of...
by Grace | Jul 5, 2014
President Xi Jinping arrived in South Korea on Thursday for a state visit that is seen as...
by Melissa M. Chan | Oct 19, 2011
China’s Foreign Ministry has announced that vice premier Li Keqiang will be visiting North and South Korea next week. This comes after North Korea’s announcement that it is ready to resume the six-party talks that it...
by Paulina Hartono | Dec 25, 2010
South Korea has released the three Chinese fisherman involved in the recent fishing boat conflict in South Korean waters, according to BBC News: The three Chinese fishermen had been freed and were now preparing to return home,...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 21, 2010
Chinese authorities have demanded that South Korea apologize for a clash at sea between Chinese fishing boats, which were reportedly illegally fihing in South Korean waters, and a South Korean Coast Guard vessel. From Bloomberg:...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods