This year marks the 30th anniversary of the nationwide, student-led democracy movement in China,...
by Josh Rudolph | Apr 22, 2019
The following censorship instructions, issued to the media by government authorities, have been...
by Sophie Beach | Nov 25, 2014
At a Foreign Ministry press conference, a journalist asked spokesperson Hua Chunying about the...
by Samuel Wade | Jun 5, 2014
The weeks leading up to the 25th anniversary of the 1989 Tiananmen crackdown on Wednesday were marked by an unprecedented campaign of detentions, house arrests, forced or restricted travel, intimidation and surveillance. Those...
by Samuel Wade | Aug 16, 2013
Echoes of Tiananmen have emerged this week in areas as diverse as a Beijing Cirque du Soleil...
by Xiao Qiang | Jun 4, 2009
From the New York Times blog: Terril Jones had only shown the photograph to friends. While working as a reporter in Beijing during the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989, he shot many photographs and recorded several hours of...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods