From China Digital Space
有关部门 (yǒuguān bùmén): relevant department
Government jargon and a source of frustration to many Chinese people. Sometimes the “relevant department” is clear from context, but more often it remains ambiguous. A government spokesperson may assure people that “the relevant department” is taking care of a particular crisis without elaborating which particular department that may be. Or a request for information may be turned down and the person seeking the information directed to ask the “relevant department” (without identifying which department that is).
Chinese Uncyclopedia elaborates:
The Relevant Department is the most powerful Chinese governmental body since the beginning of time. The Relevant Department takes care of everything other departments are unwilling to tackle, and is quoted by the media more than any other department. It is also the most inscrutable governmental body in the world. The Relevant Department does not appear under normal circumstances, and you will not be able to find it. Over the years, the Relevant Department has solved many problems and eased many worries for the government and the press.
- 1 Russia and China Join Forces to Amplify Disinformation and Propaganda
- 2 CDT Censorship Digest, June 2020: A Power Struggle Over Memory
- 3 5th Grader’s Suicide Sparks Debate on Pushing “Positive Energy” in Schools
- 4 CDT Censorship Digest, May 2020: Say “No” to Totalitarian Absurdity
- 5 Social Media Propaganda Campaigns Show Mixed Results
31 July 2020, by Sophie Beach
21 July 2020, by Josh Rudolph
24 June 2020, by Josh Rudolph
19 June 2020, by Josh Rudolph
18 June 2020, by Sophie Beach