From China Digital Space
有关部门 (yǒuguān bùmén): relevant department(s)
Government jargon and a source of frustration to many Chinese people. Sometimes the “relevant department” is clear from context, but more often it remains ambiguous. A government spokesperson may assure people that “the relevant department” is taking care of a particular crisis without elaborating which particular department that may be. Or a request for information may be turned down and the person seeking the information directed to ask the “relevant department” (without identifying which department that is).
Chinese Uncyclopedia elaborates:
The Relevant Department is China's most powerful department. Tasks that other departments cannot do are handed over to this department. It is also the department most frequently reported on in the news media. The Relevant Department is the world's most mysterious department.
- 1 Russia and China Join Forces to Amplify Disinformation and Propaganda
- 2 CDT Censorship Digest, June 2020: A Power Struggle Over Memory
- 3 5th Grader’s Suicide Sparks Debate on Pushing “Positive Energy” in Schools
- 4 CDT Censorship Digest, May 2020: Say “No” to Totalitarian Absurdity
- 5 Social Media Propaganda Campaigns Show Mixed Results
31 July 2020, by Sophie Beach
21 July 2020, by Josh Rudolph
24 June 2020, by Josh Rudolph
19 June 2020, by Josh Rudolph
18 June 2020, by Sophie Beach