simply googling “china internet” yielded an incredible amount of results. obviously, this is a hot topic. and obviously, there is no one good site to go to.
i did not go through the weblogs that john posted, trying to focus more on news websites/publications/research groups. i tried to not list the usual sites that people might use to search for news, such as the new york times, washington post, slashdot, etc.
surprisingly, a good source of information seem to be news sites originating in china. those sites seemed to have the latest news regarding internet/technology policies in china. most of the sites have a very good english web page, if it’s not all english already.
see extended for a list of the links.
sites based outside of china.
– but of course. cnet.
– bbc actually seems very good at reporting china technology/internet policies.
– usc hosted a china and the internet conference in may of this year. there was a conference weblog at http://www.ojr.org/ojc/topics/index.php?tID=52. not breaking news website, but good source of information possibly.
– human rights watch site. has a section on freedom of expression and the internet in china. has some related links to articles of interest. not updated constantly. but a good source of background research.
– not a day goes by when i don’t read some article referring to some policy in china. not only related to the internet, but articles will appear regarding china’s technology policies.
– wired is good at a wide variety of topics and happens to mention china in numerous articles, if not focusing on china specifically.
– newsmax did a series on the internet, china and us. also has some very dated links to articles about china and the internet. doesn’t seem to be the most breaking news format.
– this is a highly technical site. microsoft seems to have a big research group focused on technology in china with many publications. not as focused on societal impacts, but just technical updates.
sites based in china
– can sign up to receive over email. very straightforward newsy format. for people who don’t speak chinese. run from inside china by non-chinese. a service of xianzai.com
– news site.
– this is a link to some old news articles. however, the site can be searched for more up to date news.
– this is more like a reference site with links to other sites with news relating to chinese technology. does not seem to be updated regularly.
– this site seems to have good news articles, but all news on the internet seemed to have stopped in 2002. odd.