In Beijing, a Permit to Protest Only After Games End

The Washington Post follows yet another potential protester whose application for a permit to demonstrate during the Olympics was denied. In this case, Hong Kong resident Wang Wenjin was told that if his application is approved, he will be allowed to hold a protest after the Olympics have concluded:

Wang’s grievance is over the sale of a jointly owned venture in China’s Shanxi province. He said a court ruled that he had been shortchanged in the sale. But officials told him to “send troops” if he wanted to collect his judgment. The others in his group had individual problems with their investments in Chinese enterprises.

At the exit-entry office Monday, Wang and his group were escorted inside to apply for permits, as a group of about 10 reporters waited outside the building. At least three plainclothes police officers, including one hiding behind a tree, recorded video of the waiting reporters.

After about 90 minutes, Wang and his group left the building to get something to eat. He said the authorities had asked each of them to write out a lengthy application letter stating the objectives of their protest, the number and identities of participants, the protest location and any expected protest routes, and the slogans and banners that would be used.

Read also: 77 applications, no protests at Beijing Games by Xinhua, via the China Daily.

SUPPORT CDT

CDT on Twitter

Google Ads 1

CDT EBOOKS

Giving Assistant

Amazon Smile

Google Ads 2

Anti-censorship Tools

Life Without Walls

Click on the image to download Firefly for circumvention

Open popup
X

Welcome back!

CDT is a non-profit media site, and we need your support. Your contribution will help us provide more translations, breaking news, and other content you love.