A year after the incident, a court in Beijing is hearing the case against 23 people accused of being responsible for the fire at CCTV’s new headquarter building sparked by New Year’s fireworks. From China Daily:
Beijing No 2 Intermediate Court said yesterday it had received a case filed by local prosecutors against 23 suspects charged with causing accidents with dangerous materials.
Among them is Xu Wei, former director of the national TV network’s new headquarters, who prosecutors said decided to store illegal fireworks and hold the grand display on the building during Spring Festival last year.
…Those charged include six other former CCTV employees and six former employees from the project’s construction company.
Prosecutors said the suspects organized the illegal firework display, something that was not permitted on the 5-billion-yuan project site.
The case is the first of what is likely to be a series of cases targeting personnel thought to be responsible for the fire, which caused the death of one firefighter and injured six others on Feb 9 last year.
Read more about the CCTV fire from CDT.