Author: Sophie Beach
Caixin has published a slideshow looking at the effects of the one-child policy throughout China’s society. The policy, in effect since 1979, has been loosened in some areas and for some groups in recent years, and public debates have questioned whether the law should be reformed or abolished. Watch the slideshow here. Read more about the one-child policy, via CDT.
In the New York Times, Ian Johnson has written a lengthy report about a model town built outside Tianjin to house migrants who were forced to move when their farmland was destroyed for development. Despite promises that their living conditions and space would be equivalent to or better than their village residences, many people are disappointed by the condition of the housing, their
Most Recent Entries
- 2013.11.10 ChinaFile Translation of the CCP’s “Document 9”
- 2013.11.10 Photo: Shanghai Fall 2013, by Remko Tanis
- 2013.11.08 Bloomberg News Is Said to Curb Articles That Might Anger China
- 2013.11.07 The Third Plenum and the “Problem of Expectations”
- 2013.11.06 Badiucao (巴丢草)：”Chairman Meow is Hungry”
- 2013.11.06 India Launches Mars Probe, China Urges Cooperation
- 2013.11.05 Photo: Spiral Skyway, Taiyuan, by Mark Forman
- 2013.11.05 One Killed in Explosions Outside Taiyuan CCP Headquarters (Updated)
- 2013.11.05 What will Replace Re-education Through Labor?
- 2013.11.04 Badiucao (巴丢草)：Who Are the Terrorists?
- 2013.11.03 China Strips Army Official of Position After Attack
- 2013.11.03 BBC Forum on the Internet in China
- 2013.11.03 Photo: Evening activity, Korla, Xinjiang, by Tuomas Puukko
- 2013.11.01 China U.
- 2013.11.01 Yearbook 2013: Civilising China
- 2013.10.30 Central Bank Seeks to Reassure after Rate Spike
- 2013.10.29 Photo: Mommy and the little girl, by lancelot-z
- 2013.10.29 As Third Plenum Approaches, Whither China?
- 2013.10.29 Yu Hua: The Challenges of Conveying Absurd Reality
- 2013.10.28 A Culture of Bidding