CDT’s Year in Review. Thanks to Paulina Hartono. (Roll mouse over slides to see links.)
by Xiao Qiang | Dec 16, 2008
“Each year, China’s intellectuals get together and come up with one Chinese character that sums up the entire 12 months. Last year, it was zhang, which means “prices go up”. This year, the character is...
by sjia | Dec 11, 2008
This next installment in the CDT series on important issues facing China in 2008 concerns China’s domestic market. See also previous China 2008 articles: China and the Developing World, Nationalism, Internet Culture, and...
by Beau Rowland | Dec 9, 2008
This next article in the CDT series on important issues facing China in 2008 focuses on the revaluation of the Chinese currency, the yuan (or renminbi). See also previous posts on Nationalism, the Developing World, the Global...
by Jenny Leung | Dec 4, 2008
This is a continuation of the series on CDT relating to relevant China issues in 2008. This article deals with Chinese Nationalism and Internet Culture. Please see also previous posts on the Developing World. Chinese nationalism...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 4, 2008
Reuters looks at the generation born in the 1980s, who are coming of age just as China confronts a series of challenges, from global protests around China’s hosting of the Olympics, to natural disasters including...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods