A tenth of China’s farmland is seriously tainted by heavy metals, according to a senior government expert. From Reuters: Wan Bentai, the chief engineer for China’s Ministry of Environmental Protection, said a survey...
by Sophie Beach | Jan 6, 2011
Twenty-four children are in the hospital in Anhui getting treatment for lead poisoning, and more than 200 have been affected, the result of living near an illegal battery factory, NPR reports: The official Xinhua News Agency...
by Wang Jun | Apr 15, 2005
From Taipei Times: Substandard batteries from China and Southeast Asia are poisoning Taiwan with increasing levels of mercury and other hazardous mineral waste, ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator-at-Large Wang Jung-chang (ÁéãÊ¶ÆÁíã) claimed yesterday. Under the banner: “Chinese and Asian Batteries Enough to Kill 200,000 Taiwan People A Year,” Wang said during a press conference […]
CDT in the News
- DW – Where is Jack Ma? The mainstream media keep slience
- FT – Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe
- China Heritage – China’s Virus of Lies in 2020
- VOA Chinese – Year 2020 in Review: Xi Jinping steps up crackdown on independent journalists with unprecedented intensity
- Rest of World – Waving goodbye to Weibo