Olympians may face punishment for speech crimes if they criticize China while competing in Beijing, a member of the Beijing Organizing Committee warned in a press conference Tuesday. Prior to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, the...
Beijing Winter Olympics 2022
by Joseph Brouwer | Jan 12, 2022
China’s National Health Commission reported 166 new locally transmitted cases of COVID-19 on Wednesday. Over 20 million people across northern China are in at-home lockdown due to outbreaks of the Delta and Omicron variants....
by Joseph Brouwer | Dec 21, 2021
A pro-Beijing Singaporean state-controlled news outlet’s brief interview with Peng Shuai has raised more questions than it answered. A reporter for Lianhe Zaobao pulled Peng aside for an ostensibly unscheduled interview along...
by Oliver Young | Dec 15, 2021
Last Thursday, the Uyghur Tribunal delivered its judgment assessing evidence of the Chinese government’s alleged genocide of the Uyghur minority. Acting as an independent “people’s tribunal” and equipped with moral credibility...
Protesters Disrupt Olympic Torch-lighting Ceremony in Greece, Drawing Attention to Chinese Human-rights Abuses
by Oliver Young | Oct 19, 2021
Tibetan and Hong Kong human-rights activists staged a series of protests around the torch-lighting ceremony in Greece in the run-up to the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. Greek authorities detained nine activists; six have been...
CDT in the News
- PBS Newshour – Examining the human toll of China’s stringent COVID policy
- Mind Matters – Peng Shuai Backtracks Her Accusations
- Global Times – Western media, anti-China forces use MeToo movement to incite gender antagonism: expert
- WSJ – China Fines Weibo for Spreading ‘Illegal Information’
- The Guardian – China’s troll king: how a tabloid editor became the voice of Chinese nationalism