This weekend, the U.K.’s new aircraft carrier and its fleet will embark on an eight-month voyage through the South China Sea, in a significant show of military force by London intended as a signal to the Chinese...
HK Announces Oath Requirement for Elected Officials, Paving Way for More Opposition Disqualifications
Feb 23, 2021
The Hong Kong government has introduced a bill that will grant it the power to disqualify elected officials for failing to pledge loyalty, as the authorities define it, to the HKSAR or for betraying their oath of office. The...
Jan 20, 2021
As the Hong Kong government’s crackdown on pro-democracy activists continues unabated, relations between Beijing and London have become increasingly frayed. Areas that have previously highlighted Hong Kong’s...
Oct 23, 2020
The British government released new details this week of its plan to allow Hong Kong holders of British National (Overseas) passports and their dependents to relocate to Britain. In an unprecedented scheme unveiled in July, the...
CDT in the News
- Sky News – Chinese state media appears to censor one of its own videos
- The Guardian – Chinese state media censors itself after highlighting poem about corrupt leaders
- ASPI Daily Tech and Cyber Digest – Meta’s ‘biggest single takedown’ removes Chinese influence campaign | Japan’s cyber security agency suffers months-long breach | FBI, partners dismantle Qakbot infrastructure
- Atlantic Council – Chinese discourse power: Capabilities and impact
- VOA – Chinese Social Media Platforms Fail to Control Racism Against Black People: Report