Following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on September 8, Hongkongers have used the subsequent period of mourning to air their emotions in rare public gatherings of political solidarity. The citizens of this former British...
colonial-era anti-sedition laws
Five-year Prison Terms for Hong Kong Students Deepen Fears of Retroactive Use of National Security Law
Oct 20, 2021
On Tuesday, five former students of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) were each sentenced to almost five years in prison for their involvement in protests against the National Security Law in November 2019. One of the...
CDT in the News
- Coda Story – Apple bows to Beijing, again; Turkey blocks social media after Istanbul blast; more Musk mayhem at Twitter
- RFA – ‘Malicious’ anti-lockdown comments on live stream prompt Xinjiang police probe
- Fortune – Chinese social media users have discovered a way to bash the country’s zero-COVID strategy online
- India Today – How Chinese citizens are fooling censors to criticise strict Covid curbs
- CNN – Chinese are criticizing zero-Covid — in language censors don’t seem to understand