In a speech marking the 110th anniversary of the Xinhai Revolution, Xi Jinping said peaceful “reunification” with Taiwan is inevitable and claimed Sun Yat-sen’s legacy as the Chinese Communist Party’s own. The Xinhai Revolution...
by Samuel Wade | Sep 30, 2010
An overview in The Los Angeles Times of the colossal South-North Water Diversion includes a variety of perspectives on the project: “This is on a par with the Great Wall, a project essential for the survival of China,” said Wang...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 20, 2009
Following a controversy over two Chinese writers, Dai Qing and Bei Ling, who participated in a symposium to mark the Frankfurt Book Fair, fair organizers are now taking a tougher stand against Chinese officials who tried to ban...
by Sophie Beach | Sep 11, 2009
News reports say that organizers of the Frankfurt Book Fair, the largest such event in the world, have uninvited two prominent Chinese writers, Dai Qing and Bei Ling, from a symposium at the behest of the Chinese government....
by Xiao Qiang | Aug 27, 2006
From The Three Girges Probs: Beijing’s decision to give 22 million farmers who have been displaced by dams a 600-yuan (US$75) annual subsidy for 20 years is seen by journalist Dai Qing as official acknowledgement of the high social cost of such projects, and of the simmering rural discontent they have caused. “Problems linked to […]
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods