Far West China has posted a map, created by Stefan Geens, showing the scale of the destruction of old Kashgar: A favorite destination among tourists and a symbol for infuriated activists, the Old City that has survived multiple...
destruction of old cities
by Sophie Beach | Dec 18, 2004
Ye Guozhu has been sentenced to four years in prison on charges of “picking quarrels and stirring up trouble” after he publicly protested forced evictions in Beijing as the city prepares for the 2008 Olympics, according to the BBC. Ye’s family’s house was destroyed in 2003 to make way for new construction.
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods