In only his second trip abroad this year, Xi Jinping attended this week’s BRICS summit in South Africa in the hope of scoring a major political victory. The five-member group—comprising Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South...
Jun 27, 2023
While much of the Western developed world was glued to the mutiny in Russia over the weekend, much of the developing world contemplated a debt crisis that has both governments and individual families struggling to pay their...
Nov 23, 2021
Xi Jinping’s call in 2013 to “tell China’s story well” accelerated an existing trend of Chinese media fanning out across the globe to strengthen the country’s external propaganda and international discourse power. Media outlets...
Aug 12, 2010
The Economist debates whether China has a better development model than the West. Stefan Halper, Senior Fellow of Politics and International Studies at the University of Cambridge, defends the motion; Susan Shirk, Director of...
Nov 10, 2008
The Financial Times argues that China must seize the opportunity presented by its recently announced stimulus package to bolster consumer spending at home and abandon the development model it has used up until now, or else: The...
Mar 4, 2007
Arthur Kroeber, the managing editor of China Economic Quarterly published following essay on the Financial Times: People in the rich world perturbed by China’s rise spend a great deal of time these days consoling themselves with a political fantasy. China’s economy may be growing fast, the argument goes, but unless that growth is matched by […]
Feb 27, 2007
From Spiegel Online: If the Middle Kingdom were not a country, but rather a giant company — let’s call it Red China, Inc. — then the Politburo would be its all-powerful board of directors. And if Hu were not a communist official but rather a capitalist corporate boss, he would find himself inundated with job […]
CDT in the News
- China Brief – Much Cause But Little Recourse For Popular Discontent
- Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) – Young people living in and outside China fight to keep spirit of ‘white paper’ protests alive
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)