As Chinese citizens stayed home over this Lunar New Year holiday amid concerns about the coronavirus, several major cities were busy doling out fresh handouts of China’s rapidly developing central bank digital currency. At...
by John Chan | Oct 29, 2020
Chinese financial services giant Ant Co. is set to go public next Thursday with record-breaking IPOs in Hong Kong and Shanghai. A financial technology business spun out from Alibaba, it is expected to raise at least $30 billion...
by John Chan | Oct 16, 2020
This week, Shenzhen’s government announced the rollout of one of the largest real-world trials of China’s fledgling new digital currency. The announcement came at the same time that Xi Jinping visited Shenzhen, where he laid out...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”