CDT Chinese has recently archived and republished four essays, censored in the aftermath of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, that reveal the topics that Chinese authorities perceive to be sensitive. Two of the essays deal with the...
Dec 13, 2021
The United States-led “Summit for Democracy”, which kicked off on December 8, is designed to reverse the trend of global democratic “backsliding.” It touched a nerve in China, triggering a wave of state- and Party-directed...
Sep 17, 2021
“20021” may look like a random string of numbers or a mangled date, but many Weibo users know it as a sign that they are being blocked from posting “sensitive” content. Telegram user @cybergraveyardcn (简中赛博坟场)...
CDT in the News
- MIT Technology Review – Now China wants to censor online comments
- The Globe and Mail – Shanghai leaves lockdown after two months, but ‘zero COVID’ policy remains
- WION – Shanghai residents spent 2 months ‘locked’ up, but China bans media from calling it a ‘lockdown’
- The Independent – Shanghai prohibits media from using the term ‘lockdown’
- Guardian – Shanghai reportedly bans media use of the term ‘lockdown’ as lockdown ends