On Sunday, Hong Kong’s recently reorganized Electoral Committee selected John Lee to be the next Chief Executive of Hong Kong, a position that he will take over from current Chief Executive Carrie Lam on July 1, the 25th...
Dec 21, 2021
Sunday’s election for Hong Kong’s legislative council yielded the lowest turnout in the history of the city’s legislative elections under both Chinese and British rule. In this “patriots only” election—featuring only candidates...
Five-year Prison Terms for Hong Kong Students Deepen Fears of Retroactive Use of National Security Law
Oct 20, 2021
On Tuesday, five former students of the Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) were each sentenced to almost five years in prison for their involvement in protests against the National Security Law in November 2019. One of the...
CDT in the News
- MIT Technology Review – Now China wants to censor online comments
- The Globe and Mail – Shanghai leaves lockdown after two months, but ‘zero COVID’ policy remains
- WION – Shanghai residents spent 2 months ‘locked’ up, but China bans media from calling it a ‘lockdown’
- The Independent – Shanghai prohibits media from using the term ‘lockdown’
- Guardian – Shanghai reportedly bans media use of the term ‘lockdown’ as lockdown ends