Chinese authorities have barred German electronic music legends Kraftwerk from a Beijing festival, apparently because of a cancelled appearance at a concert for Tibetan independence 15 years ago. From Jonathan Kaiman at The...
by Samuel Wade | Feb 11, 2013
China has tightened requirements on visiting foreign musicians following Elton John’s dedication of a Beijing concert to the artist-activist Ai Weiwei last November. From Tania Branigan at The Guardian: The singer’s...
by Sophie Beach | Dec 9, 2011
New York-based artist and musician Jie-Song Zhang is writing a series of blog posts and photo galleries for National Geographic exploring the underground hip-hop movement and youth culture in China. From the first installment:...
by Sophie Beach | Jul 3, 2011
British band Radiohead has opened an account on Sina Weibo, China’s most popular microblog service. From GlobalPost: In the past the band led by singer Thom Yorke has been critical of human rights in China and performed at...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods