“Shocking” news emerged last month of Chinese plans to resume hydropower exploitation of the Nu (Salween), Lancang (Mekong) and Jinsha rivers. At The Hindu, Ananth Krishnan reported that three new dams have also been...
Jan 25, 2013
China’s State Council has announced plans to resume hydropower development on the Nu (Salween), Lancang (Mekong) and Jinsha (a tributary of the Yangtze) rivers. Outgoing premier Wen Jiabao had repeatedly intervened to...
Sep 14, 2012
In its rush to find sources of power, China has focused on hydropower. Following the construction of the massive Three Gorges Dam, work is now centered on the Jinsha River in Yunnan Province, where up to 30 dams are currently in...
Jul 5, 2012
The Three Gorges Dam’s 32nd and final generator went into full operation for the first time on Wednesday, finally bringing the dam to maximum capacity almost 20 years after the project started. From the AFP: “The full...
Nov 7, 2008
A proposed dam at Tiger Leaping Gorge, a scenic spot that has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, has been met with fierce resistance from environmentalists and local residents. In response, the government has moved...
CDT in the News
- ASPI – Singing from the CCP’s songsheet: The role of foreign influencers in China’s propaganda system
- Lacuna Magazine – Redacted Fantasy: China’s Dystopian Censorship of Online Fiction
- Sinocism – Sharp China: The Foreign Influencer Ecosystem; Money Flowing Out of China; Xi’s Exit Strategy; A Mao YouTube Controversy (11.29.2023)
- Sinocism – 2023 Weekly Discussion Thread #36: Xi in San Francisco; TikTok
- Libération CheckNews – Baidu et Alibaba, les deux géants chinois du Web, ont-ils remplacé Israël par la Palestine sur leurs cartes ?