Another Tibetan man has died in the third self-immolation in four days, Voice of America reports. Fifty-seven year-old Dorjee Rinchen set himself on fire near the Labrang Monastery in Gansu. A day earlier, a 61-year-old farmer,...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 20, 2009
The New York Times follows up with monks who staged a public protest during a visit to their monastery by foreign journalists in April 2008, following widespread protests throughout Tibetan areas: That daring protest, in April...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 15, 2008
Update (March 16): The Guardian is reporting from Xining, Qinghai, that protests have spread in Sichuan and Qinghai provinces: In Aba county, Sichuan province, protesters attacked a police station with petrol bombs and fought...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”