Another Tibetan man has died in the third self-immolation in four days, Voice of America reports. Fifty-seven year-old Dorjee Rinchen set himself on fire near the Labrang Monastery in Gansu. A day earlier, a 61-year-old farmer,...
by Sophie Beach | Jun 20, 2009
The New York Times follows up with monks who staged a public protest during a visit to their monastery by foreign journalists in April 2008, following widespread protests throughout Tibetan areas: That daring protest, in April...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 15, 2008
Update (March 16): The Guardian is reporting from Xining, Qinghai, that protests have spread in Sichuan and Qinghai provinces: In Aba county, Sichuan province, protesters attacked a police station with petrol bombs and fought...
CDT in the News
- VOA – China Media Directives Reveal Granular Detail of State Censorship
- The Jamestown Foundation – Early Warning Brief: Factional Strife Intensifies as Xi Strives to Consolidate Power
- Politico – China’s crypto ban fuels new U.S. wedge issue
- RFA – Meng Wanzhou Arrest, Return Used as Patriotic Talking Point in Chinese Schools
- Colombo Gazette – Digital autocracy in China: An appraisal