The International Herald Tribune reports on cautious moves to restart negotiations between Beijing and the Tibetan government-in-exile: The Tibetan government-in-exile over the weekend welcomed China’s stated willingness to hold...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 12, 2009
The New York Times reports on an exhibit in Beijing which gives the official history of Tibet: With Tibet closed to foreign journalists and much of the region suddenly, and mysteriously, troubled by patchy phone and Internet...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 10, 2009
Today marks 50 years since the failed uprising in Tibet which led to the Dalai Lama fleeing to India, where he has lived ever since. AP reports on security measures that are assuring no protests will be tolerated in the region...
by Sophie Beach | Mar 5, 2009
The New York Times reports on an increasing clampdown in Tibetan areas as authorities strive to avoid unrest as the 50th anniversary of the failed Tibetan uprising approaches on March 10: Now, the authorities have imposed an...
by Sophie Beach | Feb 19, 2009
In the run-up to the anniversary of last year’s riots in Lhasa, and the 60th anniversary of the failed Tibetan uprising, tensions are rising in Tibetan areas. McClatchy Newspapers reports from eastern Qinghai: On the cusp...
CDT in the News
- FT – Exporting Chinese surveillance: the security risks of ‘smart cities’
- The Jamestown Foundation – Chinese Leaders Project Confidence in Self-Sufficiency Amid Post-Pandemic Food Security Concerns
- Protocol – Censored word lists are ‘proprietary assets’ for Chinese big tech
- What’s On Weibo – The Disappearing Emoji on Weibo in Light of June 4
- Clearance Jobs – Biden Tasks Intelligence Community to Answer Wuhan Questions