By popular demand, Siweiluozi clarifies the distinction between the crimes of “subversion of state power” (颠覆国家政权罪) and “inciting subversion of state power” (煽动颠覆国家政权罪). The two are often confused, most...
new youth study group
Jan 22, 2010
Siweiluozi’s blog has translated a series of tweets by writer Yang Zili, a founding member of the New Youth Study Group who spent eight years in prison on subversion charges. On Twitter, Yang has provided an account of his...
Jun 28, 2009
The AP follows up on the saga of Li Yuzhou, who informed on four young activists known as the New Youth Study Group, resulting in their lengthy prison terms. Li is now in Thailand, facing deportation back to China: Li’s...
May 12, 2004
The BBC and the AP have reported on the arrest of freelance journalist and Internet essayist Liu Shui, who has been sentenced without trial to two years of “custody and education” in Shenzhen. The original news release from the Committee to Protect Journalists is here. Many of Liu Shui’s writings (in Chinese) are available here. […]
CDT in the News
- Coda Story – China wages war on ‘historical nihilism’
- China Spektrum – Staatliche Befugnisse in Krisensituationen: Debatten über Gewalt gegen Frauen und die Lockdown-Politik
- NYT – In Turbulent Times, Xi Builds a Security Fortress for China, and Himself
- Sinopsis – Vlivové aktivity Číny v Africe (China’s Influence Activities in Africa)
- Human Rights Watch – Chained Woman Has Become the Face of Bride Trafficking in China