A growing number of voices are calling for a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. While discussion among Western countries about a boycott has circulated for months, voices in favor of a boycott have grown stronger in...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 13, 2008
Reuters reports on Vice President Xi Jinping’s emergence into the public eye at the Olympics: Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping has tiptoed on to the world stage this Olympics, rubbing shoulders with U.S. President George...
by Ying Jiang | Jul 9, 2008
French President Nicolas Sarkozy will attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games next month despite an earlier threat to boycott over a crackdown in Tibet, according to ABC News, Australia. Mr Sarkozy told Chinese...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 8, 2008
After the chaos surrounding the Olympic torch relay in Paris and London, various media are publishing editorials and op-eds on China’s role as Olympic host. As the torch enters San Francisco for its only North American...
by Kate Zhao | Jan 27, 2008
According to the Telegraph, Prince Charles has said he will not be attending the Olympics in Beijing, while indirectly implying it is because of human rights concerns: The Prince made his decision known to campaigners for a free...
CDT in the News
- SCMP – Foreign journalists in China report state backing for rising intimidation during Henan floods
- Forum2000 – Data colonialism: Where China and the West diverge
- FT – China flood response reveals Beijing’s need to prepare for extreme weather
- LA Times – Amid crushing floods in China, officials focus not on climate change, but on control
- RFA – “Drowning” has become a sensitive word during Henan floods