A growing number of voices are calling for a boycott of the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics. While discussion among Western countries about a boycott has circulated for months, voices in favor of a boycott have grown stronger in...
by Sophie Beach | Aug 13, 2008
Reuters reports on Vice President Xi Jinping’s emergence into the public eye at the Olympics: Chinese Vice-President Xi Jinping has tiptoed on to the world stage this Olympics, rubbing shoulders with U.S. President George...
by Ying Jiang | Jul 9, 2008
French President Nicolas Sarkozy will attend the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games next month despite an earlier threat to boycott over a crackdown in Tibet, according to ABC News, Australia. Mr Sarkozy told Chinese...
by Sophie Beach | Apr 8, 2008
After the chaos surrounding the Olympic torch relay in Paris and London, various media are publishing editorials and op-eds on China’s role as Olympic host. As the torch enters San Francisco for its only North American...
by Kate Zhao | Jan 27, 2008
According to the Telegraph, Prince Charles has said he will not be attending the Olympics in Beijing, while indirectly implying it is because of human rights concerns: The Prince made his decision known to campaigners for a free...
CDT in the News
- The Philadelphia Inquirer – China steps up online controls with new rule for bloggers
- Mind Matters – For Five Days There Was Free Expression in China
- Hoover Institution – Xiao Qiang On China’s Model Of Digital Authoritarianism
- New York Times – In China, an App Offered Space for Debate. Then the Censors Came.
- Taiwan CNA – China blocks Clubhouse, official media say “anti-China has nothing to do with free speech”